OFF partners with the New York Times and the Athens Democracy Forum
Sep 13, 2015 - August 15,2015
On September 13-15, the Athens Democracy Forum will convene diplomats, scholars, corporate executives, politicians, government ministers, experts, and journalists from around the world. Together, at the ancient Agora – the birthplace of democracy – the community will explore the state of liberal democracy and the major challenges they face in the world today. The Athens Democracy Forum is endorsed by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
Key themes at the forum include:
- Democracy & the Challenge of Money: Are the rich getting richer and taking control of politics?
- Democracy & the Challenge of Islam: Is terrorism inherent in Islam?
- Democracy & the Challenge of China: Is Western liberal democracy the only way?
- Democracy & the Challenge of Charlie Hebdo: Are there limits to freedom of expression?
- Democracy & the Cyber Challenge: Limitless knowledge or existential threat?
- Democracy & the Challenge of Smugness: Has the West become too complacent?
Speakers at the forum include:
- Paul Krugman: Op-Ed Columnist, The New York Times
- Roger Cohen: Columnist, The New York Times
- Sir Richard Dearlove KCMG, OBE: Former Intelligence Officer, British Secret Intelligence Service
- Paula Dobriansky: Former US Under Secretary of State for Democracy and Global Affairs
- Kishore Mahbubani: Dean & Professor, National University of Singapore
- Valerie Plame: Writer, Member of the Global Zero Leadership Board & former CIA operative
Events will include:
- A panel discussion featuring the Prime Minister of Greece and New York Times columnist Roger Cohen
- A lecture on democracy presented by the American School of Classical Studies
- An international student debating competition at the Old Athenian Parliament Building
- The Athens Democracy Awards
- A music concert at Herod Atticus Theater, at the foot of the Acropolis
- Guided tours of The Ancient Agora, led by leading archaeologists
- A private audience with International New York Times political cartoonist, Patrick Chappatte
- City tours of Athens
The International New York Times offers preferential rates for academic institutions, NGOS, and charities.
Visit athensdemocracyforum.com to reserve your place or call Georgina Benjamin, Marketing & Audience Manger on +44 7940 530 917